Monday, August 20, 2012

SURPRISE

It may be a surprise that I am blogging after a bit of a reprieve as we visit with our family in Grundy Center.  However the surprises that I am thinking of are those unexpected pleasures of our trip.

Ogallala, Nebraska
In my life time I am sure that I have passed by Ogallala around 75 times.  I have seen the sign for Lake McConaughy, but let's face it, there are many signs for attractions along I 80: The pioneer museum, the Great Archway in Kearny, the  Heartland Museum of Military Vehicles, Fort Cody Trading Post, and so on.  Let's face it, I was always in a hurry to get where I was going and I have never stopped when on the ribbon of interstates....until now.  If I would have known that there were white sand beaches in Ogallala, I would have stopped every time and taken a dip. These beaches are on the edge of the great sand dunes and are as wonderful as the white sand beaches of Florida.  They should put that on the sign out there by the interstate.  "Florida in Nebraska".  A great surprise.  (Maybe I will stop at the gateway arches next trip out.)

Bozeman, Montana
This was our first stop after leaving Denver.  We camped for two nights in a nice private campground.  Bozeman is a city of 37,000 +.  It is the home of Montana State University.  It was beautiful, nestled in the valley.  The downtown was vibrant with old businesses and restaurants.  It is not often we see a vibrant downtown anymore.  This picture is of the great springs spa.  We were lucky to hit the farmer's market with many types of booths, the best granola ever, and the symphony playing outside.  Bozeman has a great spirit.
 Coeur d' Alene, Idaho
I apologize to this city as the picture does not represent the beauty.  This was a surprise pass through town that we wish we would have known about and had the time to spend a day there.  Instead we were captured by it's beauty and had a picnic lunch by the lake.  The town itself was very picturesque with little cafes and businesses.  Next time Coeur d'Alene.






Pat and Jaynece Tekippe
We heard a week or so before we left on our trip that our brother and sister in law were going to be in Wenatchee, Wa.  So instead of going straight to Portland which we had planned we went to Washington.  Their daughter lives in Wenatchee/Levenworth Wa.  Here is a winery we stopped at between the two towns.  It is beautiful in this part of Wa. along the Columbia and Wenatchee Rivers.
Seattle 
O.K.  this wasn't really a surprise, everyone loves Seattle and the fish market.  The colors of the vegetables and flowers were great.  We met up with another friend, Peter Hoekstra, had dinner at the Pink Door, went to a jazz bar, and also bought a great chef's knife.  This is also the home of the Polish Pottery shop, and my confusion about Colorado, Iowa.
 Mount Rainier
The surprise here was that we saw it.  We came in to the park in the southwest corner and headed to the Paradise Visiting Center.  A rather new center in the park.  When my friend, Jeff, was trying to explain the park over the phone, I chose the Paradise option, because....who wouldn't.
Another friend of mine had been to the park earlier and had not seen the peak due to the cloud cover.  I was telling Mox about this and preparing for the same experience because the mountain is often covered in cloud, when we turn the curve and there she was.  This picture was taken through the windshield at that amazing moment.

Redwood National Park
I was 7 years old when I first went to California with my parents and my older brother in a brand new 1956 two toned blue Chevy Bel Aire.  My dad had just landed a "federal" job working for the US Postal Service.  It was post war and a time  of prosperity.  WWII in somewhat of a plot twist lead to tourism.  All the small town and farm guys and gals who went off to fight also learned how big the world was.  Anyway, when I was 7 we drove through a Redwood tree and I wanted to do it again.  The drive through trees are privately owned, so you have to pay a penance for the experience, but it was worth it to recreate my childhood.

The Golden Gate Bridge
Always majestic in my mind.  Another foggy day, but it might not really be San Francisco without the fog.  I had originally hoped to stay in the city a few days with my Aunt, but she was off to Michigan.  She is 91 so I will soon visit this city again.

No comments:

Post a Comment