Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Mox #1: pajamas

When it comes to technology, as much as I hate to admit it to the world, I am some distance behind Pam. So bear with me. I am used to journaling and I have been doing that for at least the past twenty years. But "blogging" is not the same, at least for me. When I journal it is written for ME and maybe some yet to be born great grand child who stumbles upon some discarded box full of barely legible books dating back to the 2oth century. But putting out a blog for anyone to read is like hosting company in your pajamas - it may take a bit of getting used to. So here we go. Yesterday Pam and I took a 10 hour drive from Denver to Bozeman and stopped along the way once to take in matters at the Little Big Horn. You remember the Little Big Horn - where George Armstrong Custer and the 7th Calvery did some miscalulations and paid a collective ultimate price for the intrusions and injustices of so many that preceeded them. The park rangers did a fine job of balanced explanations of the facts leading up to and including the last stand on the bluffs overlooking a serene river valley. I found myself asking in reflection what did we learn from this event? Could it have been prevented? Some say that history just "unfolds" and things happen as they must, perhaps even according to some grand divine plan. I do not subscribe to that journal and I think the violence that shocked the USA on that June in 1876, while Centenial celebrations were in play through out the eastern cities, could and should have been avoided. It was the result of greed. Greed for gold, greed for land. Some really interesting books for a perspective on this red-white historial relationship are : Black Elk Speaks, Lame Deer: Seeking of Visions, and Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee by Dee Brown. Enough serious stuff. We are now in our Bozeman tent waiting on a Montana storm to blow through before we venture into town for the local farmers market. Had a great day today taking in the Bozeman Hot Springs (I love WARM water)after an hour bike ride. More soon. Mox

No comments:

Post a Comment