Sunday, July 15, 2012

ZIPCODES

I realize that I mostly joke about being homeless, but it is interesting to get a glimpse into some of the issues that confront the homeless.  I am finding zipcodes are one of those issues.

I am struck when several times a day, I am asked for my zipcode.  In an effort to buy gas yesterday, I had to put my zipcode in the pump.  I have had so many lately, I turned around a couple of numbers and Oops, the pump refused to turn on.  I spent an extra 10 minutes going into the station where I had to pre pay for the gas.

As you know, for 33 years my zipcode was 52339.  Now I really don't have a zipcode so when asked, I often make the same choice as I do when someone asks for my birthday, I make one up.

When did zipcodes gain such importance? I was born before zipcodes and got along fine for many years without one.  As the song goes, "Got along without you before I met you going to get along without your now."

This week I lived at
60538
52144
68845
80204
80511.

Next week I will leave 80204 and go to
98801
98101
and
97086.

I'm not sure what zipcodes I will reside at before reaching 92101.
I am glad that I am homeless by choice and that I know it isn't a permanent state.
My zipcode in September will be 80210.


No comments:

Post a Comment